Murexide test for uric acid is a specific test for the determination of uric acid in blood and urine. This test is mainly used in order to help diagnose gout.
- Concentrated HNO3
- Dilute Ammonia solution
- Take 8 drops of urine in a porcelain dish.
- Add 2 or 3 drops of concentrated HNO3 in it.
- Heat it in boiling water bath so that HNO3 and water evaporate leaving behind a reddish deposit.
- Add dilute ammonia solution to it.
The colour of the residue turns reddish-violet indicating the presence of uric acid.
To obtain a better result, follow the below steps.
- Before starting the procedure, wash the apparatus before and after the experiment.
- As usual, carefully handle all the chemicals in the laboratory.
- Avoid urine touching with hands while doing the experiment.
- Use fork for holding test tube.
- The test tube used should be clean neatly and free of any dirt and chemicals because we will not get the proper result then, so try to use a clean and clear test tube for a correct result.
Leave a Reply