Liebermann Burchard test for cholesterol:
Liebermann Burchard test is a specific test for the detection of cholesterol.
- Cholesterol solution
- Acetic anhydride
- Concentrated sulphuric acid
- Take 1 ml of cholesterol solution in a dry test tube.
- Add 10 drops of acetic anhydride.
- Then add 2 drops of concentrated sulphuric acid.
- Mix well.
The solution becomes red which rapidly changes to violet, then to deep blue and finally, on standing, it changes to deep bluish green colour.
- Before starting the experiment wash the apparatus cleanly.
- Carefully handle the sulphuric acid and all others chemicals in the lab.