Salkowski test for cholesterol:
Salkowski test is used to detect cholesterol in a solution. This test is named after a German biochemist Ernst Leopold Salkowski.
- Cholesterol solution
- Concentrated Sulphuric acid
- Take 2 ml of cholesterol solution, in chloroform.
- Add 2 ml of concentrated sulphuric acid.
- Shake well
The upper layer consisting of chloroform becomes bluish-red to cherry-red, whereas the layer of sulphuric acid becomes yellow with green fluorescence.
- Before starting the experiment wash the apparatus cleanly.
- Carefully handle the sulphuric acid and all others chemicals in the lab.