General tests for lipids:
Lipids comprise of very important group of organic substances present in plant and animal tissues. They have low melting point and are usually liquid at body temperature. They have high energy value. Lipids include fats, oils, steroids, waxes and other related compunds. They are insoluble in water but are soluble to varying degree in organic solvents such as ether, chloroform, benzene, etc. we will now discuss the General tests for lipids.
General tests of lipids:
1. Solubility in Organic Solvents:
- Add 5 ml of ether to a dry test tube containing few drops of olive oil.
- Shake well.
- A clear solution is obtained.
2. Oily Nature of Fats:
- Dip a glass rod in olive oil and rub it on a piece of paper.
- A greasy stain appears on the paper, rendering it translucent.